Archive for July 2011
Today we’re excited to announce that NextGen Reader v1.14 is now available in marketplace.
Again I didn’t catch up with all of you here as often as I anticipated, [ last blogged about v1.11] so I’ll use this post to explain all the new features added till version 1.14. Before I begin, many of you may also know that Microsoft have announced a really cool feature for developers – “Private Beta” which lets us distribute the beta version of app through marketplace. Thanks to everyone who’ve participated in the first beta and I’m going to publish another beta very soon, so if any of you is interested and didn’t participated in first beta, then please send your live ID associated with windows phone to “ngreader [at] live.com”. Let’s talk about the updates now:
- New Tile: Thanks to Matt Grey for his excellent contribution on new logo. The new tile is designed keeping in mind the future enhancements for Mango as well as Live tile support.
- Performance improvements: As always, max. performance with minimum battery utilization has been top goal for ngreader. You’ll notice faster startup and sync times from version 1.12.
- Background Sync: Starting with v1.12, the sync happens in background so that you can browse through existing feeds or even read articles if you sync large number of items.
- YouTube support: As many of you’ve asked for this feature, it’s finally available in ngreader. You can directly watch the video or open the link in browser to see related videos. I hope you enjoy this feature and do let me know if you come across any issues.
- Improved scrolling: In v1.14, you’ll find scrolling is more reactive for NoDo users and if you’re running Mango beta then it’s really smooth just like native apps.
- Improved article rendering: I’ve done few minor changes for better layout and reading experience. Also, a new update is coming soon for mango build 7712 with better resizing algorithm for images.
- Social networks: New share to windows live option in addition to twitter support. Also, Facebook support is coming in next release.
- Improved Sharing: You can share status to multiple networks with just one tap. URL or link shortener is enabled by default and some small improvements like you can customize the text easily before sharing.
- And also fixed few bug fixes!
I hope you enjoy the update – do give it a try! The trial version is free of ads and no limitations with just one exception of sharing via twitter. As usual I’ve been busy working on the next version of application and if you’ve some cool ideas for Mango release, then please do share with us.
Keep the feedback coming and also don’t forget to share your live ID for preview of next release.
– NG (http://twitter.com/ngreader)